Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Digging in further.... Things Fall Apart.

The novel, Things Fall Apart carries a lot of symbolism. There were many sub stories in the reading that made me feel the villagers thought with more logic than assumed. Like many countries, they had ways and systems for problem solving, and in some cases, their roles for gender is, still, much like ours.

For the story, we were assigned to specific characters in the novel to represent for
activities. I was assigned Ashy Buttocks. I would say his character in the story fit his name quite well. He was a meager speck in the introduction and spread of Christianity. This picture, an African man dressed in formal wear with a white mask over his face reminds me especially of my character, Ashy Buttocks.

This is an image of walking staffs.This image reminds me of the authority and power their many gods have over their decisions for harvest, marriage, children, and health. As you can see, the staffs are carved which to me, is used to identify a
specific person or "being". An example would be the priestess or the Oracle. Because they are considered higher persons in the Umuofia, they would probably be the ones carrying the most elaborate staffs during ceremonies.

My next image are kola nuts. In the novel, breaking a kola nut was as act of
peace and friendship. That was a way to show respect and love for your brother. I believe we take part similar notions now. In my family, a gesture of peace and friendship can sometimes be physical contact such as a hug, kiss, or a touch on the shoulder.

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

Nice job connecting to the story with all of your images!