Thursday, September 18, 2008

King Leopold's Ghost..

I must say, the first six chapters of the story posed any interest for me. I feel that the novel, over the course of the story, would get better, for the first few chapters are just laying out the past of the story. I am excited for the reading still; I think that Stanley's character is quite overbearing. I see his passion, but I don't understand his logic. He lies to fit in, most of his life is a life according to others. I think Leopold's character is interesting as well. I think that his constant hunger for power has a lot to do with the absence of his father. I think that the next chapters are going to be more brutal; The existence of the Congo River is based mainly on fabrication. It appeared to be something other than what the Association claimed. All for Leopold's dominance of the land.

2 comments:

Peter Larr said...

I agree, I bet deep down inside Leopold wanting to have a massive colony is to get his father's approval.

Allen Webb said...

Yes, it will be more brutal. Chapter 8 especially. Leopold's hunger for power seemed to drive the whole conquest.